Monday, April 24, 2006

You Know You're Old When...


You can't remember which concerts you've been to.
I went to see Billy Joel at the Civic Center on Saturday (perhaps I'll remember to post on that during this lifetime) and one of the people I went with proclaimed that it was the best concert she had ever been to. It was a great show, but I wondered... the best?
I went to the bulk of my concerts from the ages of 15 to 20. Despite the abundance of metal bands I have seen, I was not under the influence of alcohol or any other substances at that time (though I did breathe in the tainted oxygen of the various concert facilities). These are the shows I have attended... the good, the bad, and the downright terrifying.
Do you care? Probably not. I know what blogging is.
  1. U2/ Lone Justice (Apr. 1985): the first, and probably the best
  2. Paul Young / Nick Kershaw (1985)
  3. Power Station / Erasure: Spandau Ballet was supposed to open, but Tony Hadley (I think) broke his leg. Michael DesBarres sang lead for P.S. The concert info I found online said the opener was OMD (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, but I don't think so)
  4. Whitney Houston / Kenny G.: Pre-Crack days/daze, this is not a show I cheerfully admit attending, but, it was all for Momma.
  5. Motley Crue/Whitesnake (1987): Yes, the concert in which the stage background was a 50' tall set of woman's legs.
  6. Whitesnake/ Great White
  7. Great White / Tesla / Badlands
  8. Bon Jovi / Cinderella: The only concert at which I fainted-- no, not out of passion, but the more mundane heat stroke from standing outside all day (festival seating) in a black mini-dress with Aqua-Net'd hair and little actual H20.
  9. Duran Duran/ Erasure: Post "fracture" DD
  10. David Lee Roth / Poison
  11. Ratt/Poison (that just sounds too good to tour together)
  12. SOMEONE with Skid Row (I think it was Aerosmith)
  13. Sting (Nothing Like the Sun)
  14. Huey Lewis & the News (Sports Tour)/ Tower of Power
  15. INXS/ Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers: I had loved INXS since Shabooh Shoobah. I was supposed to see them again, but came down with strep. One of my favorite shows.
  16. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Strange Behavior
  17. Robert Plant / Alanna Myles
  18. Eric Clapton
Since turning 20, I have attended far fewer concerts (mostly as favors/gifts for friends, but with the understanding that I like/tolerate the music):
  1. Indigo Girls
  2. Neil Diamond (LONG story, but it was actually a good show)
  3. Annie Lennox (2003, Forrest Theater, Philadelphia-- good show, but yes, a favor)
  4. Annie Lennox/Sting: Foxboro (see above)
  5. Annie Lennox/Sting: Mohegan Sun (see above, and above)
  6. Billy Joel
The math:
in five years, attended 18 concerts.
in fifteen years, attended 6.

The realization:
Now I know why I say, "what?" a lot.

Scary closing thought:
I don't know if I've seen Aerosmith live. I think I did, but I'm not sure.

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Would you believe I'm jealous that you go to see Huey Lewis?

No really, I am. Stop laughing.

4/24/2006 9:17 PM  
Blogger Andrea Beaudin said...

From the Management:
We're sorry. The comment response regularly scheduled for this area has been postponed indefinitely due to an outbreak of giggles.

4/25/2006 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home