Friday, January 20, 2006

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball

Big. Purple. Bouncy. Pilates.
I first noticed it in my (directly behind me) neighbor's back yard.
Maybe it was a leftover from an unfulfilled New Year's resolution, pummeled away in disgust after weight loss failure. Still, my back neighbors have young'uns, so anything was possible.
Winter being what winter is and balls being what balls are (that sounds so bad out of context), big purple was on the move.
For about a week, it was caught against the fence in my back/left/diagonal neighbor's yard.
Trapped forever it seemed, doomed to deflate in the winter cold 'til it became a flaccid remnant of its former glory.
I would gaze upon it, safe in the relative warmth of the sunroom; it reminded me of the grapes that grew upon the edge of my garden.
Then, the orb began to travel again.
Wandering from the vine?
Next week, it was in my (left side) neighbor's yard. It narrowly escaped certain demise when her tree fell. Perhaps it bounced over to watch as my (next house to the left's) neighbor disposed of so many limbs efficiently with his chainsaw.
Maybe it was too gory for that purple blister to bear. It disappeared.
I thought it might have been composted or appropriated as a toy by one of our "cute" little black bears. Perhaps it left of its own accord. Maybe it was kicked away.
Or so I thought.
After our violent windstorm, it showed up again, this time nestled among the pines in my (side right) yard.
I hope it feels safe here.

1 Comments:

Blogger wordperson said...

Green ball--maybe a relative--lives under my piano, except when it masquerades as a computer chair.

Thank you for your kind comments.I love Cadfael and Wimsey, too. Do you like Mary Russell?
Cheers,
LLC

1/21/2006 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home