Monday, January 23, 2006

I Saw A Beaver!

No, that's not a euphemism.
Took a Sunday walk on the riverfront trail. I can't believe the flooding-- the iron trestle bridge was half submerged. During the summer months I'd stand on that same bridge and listen as 20 feet below bullfrogs 'twanged' in the marsh.
As Hilde walked me (as she is wont to do), I noticed what I thought was a fast-moving tree limb gliding through the flood waters. I edged close to the edge of the trail and the beginnings of the muck, wondering if the form were truly wood or something more purposeful, even sentient. Then, the 'branch' dove, leaving only swirling eddys as a calling card.
I've lived by a river for over thirty years, yet had never seen this sight.
A bit of a belated New Year's gift. beaver

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home