Friday, June 09, 2006

Trust Me on This

Went to NYC yesterday for a Flash conference. No, not learning how to expose myself to the masses (isn't that what blogging is, anyway?), but learning about Macromedia/Adobe (Macrobe?) Flash 8. At the event, I was both inspired and intimidated. Three men from Big Spaceship were there to explain their process and how they have used Flash in their work, and if you ever want to have a jaw-gaping internet experience, just check out their website.
As a techie teach, I just can't help but marvel at the rhetorical implications of Flash. I know I'm sounding kind of eggheady with that statement, but the "Flash Evangelist" (yup, that's the term used, just like one of the guys from Big Spaceship was the "Minister of Technology"), referred to accessibility, creating to audience, interactivity, anticipating audience reaction, fitting the project and design to the message-- isn't this a form of what I teach every day in the writing classroom?
So what does this have to do with the pictures I've strewn around this post? Nothing really. Just thought I'd share. The conference let out at 5:15 or so (I didn't feel like staying for the cocktail hour), and I didn't want to play sardine on MetroNorth during rush hour, so I decided to walk a few (30?) blocks to the Village for some dinner. As I was traipsing down Fifth Ave. near NYU, I happened upon a film shoot. Don't know the name of the film, but the actors that I could identify (as Miss Myopia) were Tim Robbins, William Hurt, and Billy Baldwin. They're somewhere in the pics. Trust me.
On the way back I passed the scene again, this time lost in my usual post-dinner daze (fantastic food at Quantum Leap). Some young man stopped me and said something about the shot. I don't know if I was in it and get the heck out of the way or what. Sorry! That's what I get for walling off the world...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home